1) Christopher Columbus -During his first voyage in 1492, instead of reaching Japan as he had intended, Columbus landed in the Bahamas archipelago, at a locale he named San Salvador.
2) Ferdinand Magellan-He died in a war and 18 of his men and one ship arrived in Spain in 1522 nearly three years after they had left they were the first persons to circumnavigate or sail around the world.
3) Prince Henry” The Navigator”-Portugal’s sailor. Son of Portugal’s king. Henry dreams overseas exploration began in 1415 when he helped conquer the Muslim city in Ceuta in North Africa.
4) Hernando Cortes- landed in the shores of Mexico. Corte’s was looking to claim new lands for Spain. He conquered the Aztecs. He spread catholic religion over to Native Americans.
5) Francisco Pizarro-He conquered the Incan empire in South America along the western coast.
6) Vasco de Gama-He began exploring the east African coast.1498 he reached the port of Calicut on the southwestern coast of India.
7) Mercantilism-an economic policy under nations sought to increase their wealth and power by obtaining large amount of gold and silver and by selling more goods and they bought.
8) Mestizo -A person of mixed Spanish and Native American ancestry.
9) Encomienda-a grant of land made by Spain to a settler in Americas, including the right to use Native Americans as laborers on it.
10) Colony-a land controlled by another nation.
11) Triangular Trade-The transatlantic trading network along which slaves and other goods were carried between African, England, the West Indies and the colonies in Americas.
12) Middle Passage-The voyage that brought captured Africans to the west Indies and later to North and South American to be sold as slaves so called because it was considered the middle leg of the triangle trade.
13) Jamestown-London investors received from King James a charter to found a colony in North America. They reached the coast of Virginia and named it Jamestown in honor of their king.
14) Massachusetts bay colony-
15) Pilgrims-a group of people who in 1620 founded the colony of Plymouth in Massachusetts to escape religious persecution in England.
16) Puritans-a group of people who sought freedom from religious persecution in England by founding a colony at Massachusetts bay in the early 1600s.
17) Absolutism-wanted to be absolute monarch kings and queens held all the power.
18) Theory of divine rights of kings-
19) Fredrick the great- he wrote the fundamental role of government is the principals of extending their territories.
20) Peter the great-he was a giant and genius and he was like Hercules.
21) Philip 2-inherit Spain, the Spanish Netherlands and the American colonies.
22) Louis XIV-he and the state were the same .he reportedly boasted.
23) Thirty year war- a conflict over religion and territory and for power among European ruling families.
24) Edict of Nantes-a 1598, declaration in which the French king Henry IV promised that Protestants could live in peace in France and could set up houses of worship in some French cities.
25) Prussia-its land mass exceeded throughout parts of modern