Organizational Psychology Essay

Submitted By mcoleman83
Words: 1263
Pages: 6

Organizational Psychology
PSY/428
Sunday June 26, 2011
Robert Seneca

Abstract
The purpose of this paper the subject is to explain organizational psychology. The paper will show employees in Wal-Mart and Kohl’s stores, the different feelings about their job, and the reasoning behind the results of employee surveys that were taken. The paper will also explain the role of research and statistics in organizational psychology. The study of the survey was on job satisfaction. This paper will show how job satisfaction can have an effect on employee’s performance and willingness to want to go to work. Last, this paper will explain how organizational psychology is used in organizations.

Organizational Psychology Organization Psychology is the study of the structure of an organization and of the ways in which the people in it interact, usually undertaken to improve the organization (Jex & Britt, 2008). Organizational Psychologists helps organizations to understand employees, their actions, and behaviors. The employees’ not happy while at work could be upset about different issues. The employees could be upset about pay, management, scheduling, other employees and even customers. Organizational psychology is good for business because it shows the company what could be changed for the good of the business and the employees. Employee satisfaction is an important aspect within a business. Employees are at the forefront of the business; therefore the employees should always be treated fair. Otherwise, it is very likely that the employees will not treat each customer as he or she deserves to be treated. Employee’s that works in customer service perform to the best of his or her ability on a regular basis, and give good customer service than employees are usually happy within the company. When employees are not happy, they tend to avoid caring how he or she treats customers and will not mind showing that they do not care by his or her actions (2011). When employees were surveyed: what is best about their jobs with the options to answer such as pay, managers, coworkers, flexibility in scheduling, or all of the above; 60% says that pay is what they liked best about the job. 10% says that they like the job because of their coworkers. Finally, 30% says that they liked the flexibility in scheduling. No employee stated to like the job because of management, which says a lot. The reasoning no one chose management could mean that either the management is unfair or even that management is not for the employees and more for the company or for themselves. When employees were asked if they would recommend their current jobs to their friends; 80% of the people surveyed said yes they would. The other 20% said no they would not recommend their jobs to their friends. Friends, do not offer their friends to work where he or she is currently working, this should not be taken offensively because it is a reason for this. This could be from a number of reasons; it could be because the job does not pay what employees think they should be paid. The reasons could also be because the employees does not like the jobs and is only working the job because they need the paycheck. When employees were asked if they could change anything that goes on in their place of employment, there were many responses. 20% says that they would change nothing about the company, and that everything is fine just the way it is. 30% says that they would change the attendance policy. In their current attendance policy, if an employee miss work than the employee is assessed an occurrence. An occurrence is a “point system” that the company allows the employees to accumulate a total of 12 occurrences before termination is a factor. 10% of employees surveyed say they would change the policy to go about requesting vacation. An employee of Kohl’s Department Stores call center has to send a written request with the dates that’s requested off to a…