Has acceptable thesis. 1 Point
• The thesis correctly addresses similarities and differences in empire building in the
Spanish Empire and the Ottoman or Russian Empire.
• The thesis must be accurate for the period 1450–1800, but actual dates are not mandatory.
• The thesis must be explicitly stated in the introduction or the conclusion of the essay.
• The thesis may appear as one sentence or as multiple sentences.
• A thesis that is split among multiple paragraphs, or merely restates the prompt
• The thesis statement cannot be counted for credit in any other category.
2. Addresses all parts of the question, though not necessarily evenly or thoroughly.
For 2 points:
• Both similarities and differences in empire building in the two empires are addressed. For 1 point:
• Either similarities or differences in empire building in the two empires are addressed.
3. Substantiates thesis with appropriate historical evidence. 2 Points For 2 points:
• The essay provides at least FOUR examples of specific evidence that supports empire building, with at least one example from each empire.
For 1 point:
• The essay provides THREE examples of specific evidence that supports empire building, with at least one example from each empire.
4. Makes at least one relevant, direct comparison between or among societies. 1 Point
• Makes at least one explicit, relevant comparison about the empire-building process.
• The direct comparison must be distinct from the thesis statement.
5. Analyzes at least one relevant reason for a similarity or difference 1 Point between the…