Europe’s Age of Faith
Read Chapter 14, Section 3 pages 317–319, and answer the questions in the Student Guide.
Complete The Church in Medieval Life activity online.
Read the Chapter 14 Highlights.
Take the Chapter Quiz.
Read Chapter 14, Section 3 pages 317–319 and answer the questions in the Student Guide.
Think about the following questions as you read:
• What roles did the Christian church assume during the Middle Ages in Europe? Why?
1. Why do historians sometimes call the Middle Ages “an age of faith”?
2. Describe the church’s role in the everyday life of most Europeans during the Middle Ages.
3. Since most people could not read or write, from what sources did they get their knowledge about faith?
4. How did the church gain political and economic influence on medieval society? Describe some of the influences. © 2010 K12 Inc. All rights reserved.
Copying or distributing without K12’s written consent is prohibited.
Page 1 of 2
HST103A/104A: World History | Unit 5 | Lesson 8: Europe’s Age of Faith
5. Explain how the church maintained influence and power over lords.
6. What were the reasons for the church’s reform?
7. Describe the church’s reforms during the eleventh and twelfth centuries.
Use What You Know
During the Middle Ages, the church played a major role in the daily life of everyone—from peasants to