Levels of Life Worksheet
Complete all three parts of this worksheet.
Part I: Atomic Structure – Fill in the missing information on atomic structure and organic compounds.
Location in an Atom
Large Biological Molecule
Atoms it Contains
Function(s) in Living Organisms
C, H, and O
Source of energy
C, H, and O
Glycerol and fatty acids
Cushion and insulate organs; builds cell membranes
C, H, O, N, and S
Helps chemical reactions, provides support and structure, provides transport within bodies and provides movement of body
C, H, O, N, and P
Stores and transmits genetic information
Part II: Characteristics of Living Organisms – Seven characteristics distinguish an object or thing from an actual living organism. All seven characteristics must be present simultaneously for something to be considered living. Fill in the remaining characteristics in the following table.
Characteristics of a Living Organism
1. Order – exhibit complex but ordered organization.
2. Regulation- The environment outside an organism may change drastically, but the organism can adjust its internal environment, keeping it within appropriate limits.
3. Growth and development- Information carried by genes controls the pattern of growth and development in all organisms.
4. Energy utilization- Organisms take in energy and use it to perform all of life’s activities.
5. Response to the environment- All organisms respond to environmental stimuli.
6. Reproduction-Organisms reproduce their own kind.
7. Evolution- Reproduction underlies the capacity of populations to change (evolve) over time.
Part III: Write a 200- to 300-word explanation of how atoms make up organic compounds, which make up all living organisms, addressing all three domains.…