Quality Management Case Study
• Definition of Acceptance Sampling.
• Purposes of Acceptance Sampling.
• Acceptance Sampling method.
• When is Acceptance Sampling useful.
• Advantages of Acceptance Sampling.
• Disadvantages of Acceptance Sampling
• Different types of Acceptance sampling.
• Different Acceptance Sampling plans.
• Error types.
What is Acceptance Sampling ?
• Statistical quality control (SQC) technique.
• Developed by Dodge and Romig during world war two.
• The lot is either accepted or rejected based on random sample. Accept lot = Ready for customers.
Reject lot = Not suitable for customers.
What are the purposes of acceptance sampling?
• Determining the quality of shipped items.
• Determining the quality of items at end of production.
• Ensuring quality conforms with predetermined standards.
How to use Acceptance Sampling?
• Determine the sample size (n) from a lot (N), based on the lot size and characteristic inspected.
• Determine maximum number of acceptable defectives (c), to determine whether the lot is accepted or rejected, based on the information available.
When is it useful?
Acceptance Sampling is useful when the inspection method used is:
• Time consuming
• When developing new products.
• When dealing with a new supplier.
• When the current supplier is in question.
What are the Advantages of Acceptance Sampling ?
• Less handling damages.
• Fewer inspectors needed.
• Reduce amount of inspection error.
• 100% inspection is too expensive.
• 100% inspection is time consuming.
What are the disadvantages of Acceptance sampling?
• Does not ensure the quality of the…