Name ____________________ Date _________ Period ______
1. The structure of DNA is said to be a ___________ ______________.
2. ______________ & ____________ groups run along the backbone (sides) of DNA.
3. ______________ _____________ make up the “rungs” (steps) of the DNA ladder.
4. The complementary base pairs that join together are _____________ with ______________ and _______________ with _______________ (write out the words).
5. The monomer of DNA is a (an) ________________.
6. The monomer of DNA is composed of a _______________, _______________ and a ________________ base.
7. Who discover the structure of DNA? ________________ & ___________________.
8. What is a codon?
9. What is the function of DNA?
10. Draw a picture of DNA. Label a nucleotide, codon, nitrogen base pair, deoxyribose and phosphate.
11. The product of DNA replication is ____________.
12. The produce of transcription is _____________.
13. The product of translation is _______________.
14. DNA replication takes place in the _____________.
15. Transcription takes place in the ___________.
16. Translation takes place at the ______________.
17, Define DNA replication:
18. Why is replication important for cells?
19-21. Name 3 ways RNA is different from DNA:
22. The monomer of RNA is a ________________.
23. The monomer of RNA is made up of a _______________, a ________________ and a _____________________ base.
24. What is the purpose of mRNA?
25. What is the purpose of tRNA?
26. What is transcription?
27. What is translation?
28. Why is transcription & translation important?
29. Protein synthesis takes place at the _________________.
30. Put the list of words in correct sequence (order) that would describe how traits are expressed:
31. Put the following in order from large to small: DNA, cell, nucleotides, chromosomes, genes, nucleus.
A DNA strand is TAC-CGC-GTA-GGA-ACT
32. Give the complementary DNA strand:
33. Give the mRNA codons that will pair with the original DNA strand.
34. Give the tRNA anticodons that will pair with the codons in number 33.
35. List the amino acids that will form from this protein (hint: use the mRNA codons and the chart on p. 303).
1. What are the phases of the cell cycle?
2. When during the cell cycle does cell division occur?
3. Fill in the following chart:
Number of cell divisions:
Number of cells produced:
Type of cells produced:
Chromosome number at start:
Chromosome number at end:
Type of reproduction associated with:
Genetic variation occurs in daughter cells?
4. Illustrate and