• Constitutional law
• Human Rights law
• Employment Equity legislation and
• Labour law/employment standards and related legislation.
Constitutional law as a whole is the supreme law of Canada and has precedence over all other legal means; it consists of a series of Acts and orders passed since 1867 by the British and Canadian Parliaments. Sections 1 – 34 of Part 1 of the Constitution Act of 1982 are called the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Constitutional law does not directly affect recruitment and selection activities unless the recruitment and …show more content…
2) Such legislation is necessary to ensure that employees are protected from discrimination and employers are protected from wrongful discrimination charges. The legislation is also necessary because employers hire employees to complete specific tasks. This can create conflicting interesting in the employment relationship. Specifically as follows:
• The duties and obligations of the employer and employee are asymmetrical: the employer issues orders and the employee obeys them.
• Employers must profit or fail; thus employers face pressure to cheapen and intensify labour as one means to increase their profitability.
• Employers’ interests lie in maximizing profits, while workers’ interests lie in maximizing wages.
This brief description suggests employment is not only an economic relationship but also a social