Independent artists: i.e. self produced / self-run: http://bandcamp.com/ http://www.tunecore.com/ self-digital distribution https://soundcloud.com/ http://www.reverbnation.com/
Indie, artist controlled: http://www.artistshare.com/v4/ http://www.greenleafmusic.com/ http://www.blackhenmusic.com/ http://www.barnyardrecords.com/home.html
International record labels: The big guys: Blue Note, Sony BMG, Warner, ECM et al
National: http://www.justin-time.com/ (generally established, Canadian jazz, some up-and-comers) http://www.kleo-records.com/ (specific to ONE artist)
// physical products: CD prices: $10-20 (generally lower for online/impersonal sales - people tend to be more willing to pay more for a record when purchased directly while experiencing a live performance.
Social factors: the jazz listener community is incredibly diverse in terms of the age range, financial situation, family background, geographical location etc. However, exposure plays a big part in developing a relationship with the music; to those with limited exposure, the music can seem too "cookie cutter" (too much Diana Krall or Michael Buble) or too abstract and obtuse (not enough!)
More and more online presence for new artists is needed. Exposure via social media is crucial to bringing an artist to national awareness, important for touring. Online sales of digital albums is cheap and easy.
Jazz scene in Toronto is growing. http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/article/1294663--jazz-returning-to-top-o-the-senator-next-year !!
BUT, filled with too many "old guard" - needs more young blood. Happening scene, but difficult to infiltrate.
- FOCUSED (on 3-5 featured acts at any one time. can provide tailored and specialized service to these few musicians, without spreading too thin over a larger roster of active artists.)
- localized (the GTA is particularly well suited for the discovery of new talent - Humber, UofT, York, Mohawk College, etc).
- Familiarity with the scene / city
- smaller organization, clearer focus and decision making
- less limitation on musical "style".
- being a smaller organization, much responsibility and focus needed to avoid mismanagement and avoid mistakes
- Jazz scene in Toronto is a closed