Questions 1-15 are Antonyms. Find the word most nearly OPPOSITE in meaning to the given word.
1. Subservient is most nearly opposite in meaning to
2. Morose is most nearly opposite in meaning to
3. Intrepid is most nearly opposite in meaning to
4. Zealous is most nearly opposite in meaning to
5. Estrange is most nearly opposite in meaning to
A. Make calm
B. Grow close
C. Turn away
D. Be normal
E. Go back
6. Vainglorious is most nearly opposite in meaning to
7. Fortitude is most nearly opposite in meaning to
8. Reckless is most nearly opposite in meaning to
9. Propensity is most nearly opposite in meaning to
10. Lassitude is most nearly opposite in meaning to
11. Stalwart is most nearly opposite in meaning to
12. Scintillating is most nearly opposite in meaning to
13. Melancholy is most nearly opposite in meaning to
14. Affected is most nearly opposite in meaning to
15. Wary is most nearly opposite in meaning to
Questions 16-20 are sentence completions. Choose the answer which contains the words that best fit the blanks and complete the meaning of the given sentence.
16. Susie had been offended when the director ____ her ideas on set design, but she walked into the meeting with a ____ air that belied the damage to her self-esteem.
A. repudiated - nonchalant
B. challenged - disappointed
C. mocked - morose
D. lauded - carefree
E. amended - aggressive
17. A naturally ____ person, my grandmother refused to succumb to our ____ mood and soon had us laughing and joking again.
A. vivacious - obstreperous
B. warm - jovial
C. diffident - circumspect
D. effervescent - somber
E. dour - dejected
18. With a natural ____ languages, Brunt ____ German much more rapidly than did his less linguistically gifted brother.
A. apathy towards - spoke
B. bent for - assimilated
C. dislike of - learned
D. inclination towards - tired of
E. aversion to - gave up on
19. Some ____ vegetarians ____ meat-eating not for health reasons, but on moral grounds: they passionately believe that it is immoral to contribute to the suffering of animals.
A. life-long - tolerate
B. committed - accept
C. fervent - eschew
D. fanatic - condone
E. lapsed - recommend
20. The King, surprised that someone normally so ____ had suddenly found the courage to question state policy, responded to the courtierís ____ by having him imprisoned.
A. querulous - prevarication
B. pusillanimous - audacity
C. condescending - insolence
D. lethargic - vacillation
E. slavish - treason
This vocabulary test is designed for use with Word Focus
Find out more about Word Focus
* Test names and other trademarks are the property of the respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with this website.
All content of site and tests copyright © 2015 Study Mode, LLC.